Have you ever wondered:
- what is baptism? what does it mean to be baptized?
- what is different about baptism today?
- how has the church begun to talk about baptism differently than when I was a child?
- why does the church change?
- how does the church appropriately adapt to culture?
- why is the baptismal font at Trinity Church in the middle of the nave?
If you have asked these questions, this Adult Forum is for you. We will explore a rich, ancient, multifaceted, and deeply Christian baptismal practice and theology. For this study, we will use Dr. Samuel Torvend’s book, Flowing Water, Uncommon Birth: Christian Baptism in a Post-Christian Culture. The book is available for purchase (paperback) for $10, or you may purchase the e-book (Kindle) for only $7.99 here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVTLCUI
Samuel Torvend teaches courses in the history of Christianity and historical courses on specific topics at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington. Torvend holds the endowed chair in Lutheran Studies at PLU. In all of these courses, his early interest in the relationship between Christian insights and practices with a culture’s social, economic, and political systems continues to engage students with the power of religion to shape public life.